"My Mother is Gone" but I still have her memories...

On June 23, 1980, my mother Beatrice was killed by a drunk driver.  The man who killed her was a stranger who was "partying" in the Hamptons on Long Island, New York.  He was from Switzerland and was working in New York City for his father.  We never met.  He came into our lives, took our Mother's life, and walked away, "free as a bird."  Today I believe he is back in Switzerland living a productive life as though nothing ever happened.  He never even said he was sorry.  Her precious life was taken away because of a bad choice in judgment on the behalf of another individual.  I have forgiven this stranger.  However, I hope he never forgets the bad choice he made, the lives that he destroyed,  and I hope that everyone who reads this remembers to never drink and drive.  



(A poem I wrote in June, 1980 after my Mother was killed.)

WHY DID SHE GO?

My mother is gone from my life and I miss her so.
I wasn't ready to part with her, Oh why did she go?
She left so suddenly without even a goodbye,
and all I can ask myself and others is, "why?"
Now that she is gone, I feel so empty inside.
It's as though a wave came and she went out with the tide.

The need for her presence grows stronger everyday.
Will I make it without her?  Oh Lord I pray.
Please give me the strength to go on living as I should.
I yearn to be with her, if only I could.
I realize we will be joined once more in Heaven above,
but it is too soon for me to accept that I lost the Mother I truly love.

Now all I have are fond memories
which I will cherish and keep close to my heart.
Maybe if I hold on to those memories,
my Mother and I will never be apart.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humor Therapy/Laughter Yoga ~ Laughter, the best natural medicine!

Islip Art Gallery at Brookwood Hall Mansion-A must see!